Smooth stone has been featuring in Minecraft for a very long time, but it wasn’t always available to players as a building block.
Now you can use this stone, albeit in minimal crafting recipes. Most players use it for its decorative purposes and smooth texture. The following guide will show you how to make smooth stone blocks and slabs, on any platform, as long as you have the required game version.
How to Make Smooth Stone in Minecraft
To make smooth stone you have to do some smelting. When you mine regular stone in Minecraft you get cobblestone in return. You have to go through two smelting processes to turn cobblestone into smooth stone.
How to Make Smooth Stone in Minecraft 1.14
The first ingredient you need to make smooth stone is cobblestone. Cobblestone is abundant, so get as much as you want and start the process:
- Use eight cobblestone blocks to build a furnace.
- Add your cobblestone blocks.
- Add sticks, charcoal, or anything flammable for fuel.
- Smelt your cobblestone stack to turn it into regular stone.
- Add more fuel to the regular stone stack.
- Smelt the regular stone to get smooth stone.
Use the smooth stone blocks to create a better furnace or start using them as a decorative or building block.
How to Make Smooth Stone Slab in Minecraft
There’s not a lot you can do with smooth stone blocks in Minecraft, but it’s still a good-looking base material. If you craft smooth stone slabs you can expand your decorative options if you want to take advantage of the refined texture.
The same process used to make slabs from other materials applies to smooth stone.
How to Make Smooth Stone Slab in Minecraft 1.14
You have two options to make smooth stone slabs in Minecraft. First, let’s go over the traditional method.
- Create a crafting bench if you don’t have one.
- Bring up the crafting screen.
- Place three smooth stone blocks in the bottom row. This will create six smooth slabs.
Another alternative to the crafting table is the stonecutter. You can craft smooth stone slabs at the stonecutter, just as you can with other types of stone.
If you don’t know how to make a stonecutter utility block, follow this process:
- Open the crafting menu at the crafting bench.
- Place one iron ingot in the top middle square.
- Finally, put three stone blocks in the middle row to complete the stonecutter.
- Place the stonecutter on the ground.
- Bring up its crafting screen.
- Move your smooth stone blocks inside and select the slab recipe.
How to Make Smooth Stone Stairs in Minecraft
Smooth stone slabs have the same properties as other types of stone in Minecraft. However, you can’t use them in many crafting recipes.
That doesn’t mean you can’t build smooth stone stairs the old-fashioned way.
- Smelt a big stack of smooth stone slabs.
- Place a regular block on the ground.
- Place a slab on top of the block.
- Place one slab in front of the block.
- Destroy the regular block.
- You will have created your first two steps in a staircase.
- Repeat the process to ensure consistency and prevent gaps between slabs.
How to Make Smooth Stone Bricks in Minecraft
Players use bricks in Minecraft to get a more visually appealing effect when building. Unfortunately, smooth stone bricks are only available in Minecraft Bedrock.
You can access them via the creative menu, but you can’t spawn or craft them in Survival mode.
How to Make Smooth Stone in Minecraft on Switch
As of version 1.9.0, you can create smooth stone in Minecraft on the Nintendo Switch platform. It’s a very simple process:
- Build a furnace.
- Smelt cobblestone into regular stone.
- Smelt the regular stone into smooth stone.
How to Make Smooth Stone in Minecraft on PS4
PS3 Minecraft players can’t access smooth stone, but PS4 users can as of version 1.86.
- Open your furnace smelting menu.
- Place regular stone inside.
- Add fuel.
- Smelt the regular stone to get smooth stone.
How to Make Smooth Stone in Minecraft on Xbox
Unfortunately, you can’t smelt smooth stone on the Xbox 360 version of the game. If you own an Xbox One and Minecraft version 1.9.0, you can smelt regular stone into smooth stone for improved texture.
- Build a furnace.
- Gather and smelt cobblestone into regular stone.
- Add more fuel and smelt the stone to get the smooth stone variant with better texture.
How to Make Smooth Stone in Minecraft on PC
PC users can create smooth stone as well since it’s not easy to find in the open world.
- Use eight cobblestone blocks in the crafting bench to make a furnace.
- Place a cobblestone stack and fuel in the furnace.
- Smelt the cobblestone into stone.
- Add more fuel into the furnace if necessary
- Stack your regular stone and resume the smelting process.
- Take out your smooth stone blocks when ready.
How to Make Smooth Stone in Minecraft on iPhone and Android
With the release of Minecraft 1.9.0 for the Pocket or Bedrock Edition, iPhone and Android users can also create smooth stone blocks to enjoy its aesthetics.
- Access your furnace.
- Place a stack of cobblestone along with fuel.
- Smelt the cobblestone into regular stone.
- Place more fuel and the regular stone stack in the furnace.
- Smelt the regular stone to turn it into smooth stone.
How to Make Smooth Sandstone in Minecraft
Smooth sandstone is another great-looking block in Minecraft. You can craft it in a furnace if you have regular sandstone. The following step-by-step process will show you how to make sandstone and turn it into smooth sandstone.
- Use a shovel to gather sand blocks.
- Place a minimum of four sand blocks in the upper right corner of the crafting screen.
- You need to fill four individual squares of sand blocks.
- You will get one sandstone block per four sand blocks.
- Open your furnace screen and place the sandstone stack.
- Add fuel to the furnace to smelt the sandstone into smooth sandstone blocks.
Unlike smooth stone, smooth sandstone has more utility as a crafting item. You can create pretty much anything you otherwise could when using cobblestone or regular stone – stairs, slabs, etc.
Can You Make Smooth Stone in a Blast Surface?
You can make smooth stone in any furnace as long as you have fuel to smelt regular stone.
What Are the Types of Stone in Minecraft?
Cobblestone is the first type of stone you can get in Minecraft. Mossy cobblestone is another variant that can easily be found in dungeons.
Other types include granite, diorite, andesite, and calcite. Sandstone is another stone block variant that you can craft or mine on beaches and deserts. Even gravel is a type of stone block, but it is essentially useless.
The Nether region has its own stone variants such as Netherrack, basalt, blackstone, and end stone. A unique glowstone is also available in the Nether and you can use it for its light-emitting properties. Prismarine is a type of stone only found underwater.
What Block Goes Well With Smooth Stone?
Smooth stone has a very polished texture. It’s essentially what stone blocks look like in Minecraft before you break them down for cobblestone with a pickaxe.
Aesthetics are often a matter of opinion, but smooth stone does look really good when combined with stone bricks and polished andesite. Any black decorative blocks would work well too if you have a somber theme in mind.
How Do You Get Stone in Minecraft?
If you want to get your hands on smooth stone, first you need regular stone. Stone is easily obtainable. All you need is a furnace, fuel, and cobblestone. Smelting one cobblestone block gives you a regular stone block. Stone has a nicer texture, but not nearly as smooth as that of smooth stone, hence the obvious name choice.
What Can You Make With Smooth Stone in Minecraft?
The first and most important use of smooth stone is the crafting of blast furnaces. You can use smooth stone to create the upgraded version of the traditional furnace and smelt ores or armor at twice the speed. On the flip side, a blast furnace also provides half the experience.
Another use for smooth stone is to turn villagers into armorers. While smooth stone blocks don’t have too many uses, you can craft smooth stone slabs using three blocks in the mid-row of the crafting screen. Slabs have more uses than regular blocks from a building perspective.
Where do You Get Smooth Stone in Minecraft?
There are several ways to get smooth stone in Minecraft. The fastest way is to smelt regular stone, which you can craft by smelting cobblestone.
The game also generates smooth stone blocks in various locations, usually inside buildings. You can find it in houses throughout villages in the plains, savanna, and snowy tundra biomes. The butcher’s house has a higher chance to contain smooth stone.
Another alternative is as loot from Mason’s chest.
Smooth Stone Still Has a Long Way to Go
Did you know that most blocks in Minecraft are air blocks? Stone blocks come in second. There’s more stone than dirt, water, or sand blocks in the game.
It’s no surprise that it has a wide range of variants since it’s the second-most available block and the most available resource. Its limited uses aside, it is important to the core game in its current state. Would you like to see smooth stone available as a valid ingredient in other stone block and slab recipes? Let us know in the comments section.